A Joyful Heart

“A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”

Proverbs 17:22

 

My grandmother told me the story many years ago of a man who was very sick. I do not know what his condition was or his prognosis, but I do know that it was serious. He responded to his sickness by acquiring all of the funny movies, like Laurel and Hardy, that he could find and watching them continually. I still remember how she told me that he laughed and laughed and laughed. Eventually, his condition improved. This verse was one that she used to tell me about why he was healed.

I was very young when she told me that story, so I don’t remember the particulars very well. I don’t know if there is any way that I could follow up to examine what happened in more detail. However, I do know that my grandmother was convinced in the reason for his healing because she applied the lesson to her life. I remember laughing with her as we talked and spent time together, and those times were always extremely special to me.

I haven’t thought of that particular occasion literally in decades, but as I remember it now it comes back loud and clear. Perhaps it is one of the reasons that my own family laughs a lot. We have much to be joyful about, and I am especially thankful that laughter resounds from the walls of our home daily. Laughter is not a magic pill, but joy in one’s heart is a powerful antidote to the ills of the world, whether they be physical, emotional or spiritual.

For the follower of Jesus, our joy in the Lord is our strength. If you’ve been under the attack of the crushing weight of the ills of this world, let me encourage you to find your joy in the Lord. This world is steadily decaying under the weight of sin, but in your life, believer, the grace of God is at work in powerful ways. Determine to “rejoice in the Lord, always” and you will find that it is effective to bring health to your whole being.

Lord Jesus, in you I have much to be joyful about. Remind me of this joy and fill my heart with it daily. For this I am so very grateful! Amen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Control

Train Up A Child

Strongholds