A Pure Heart

“Who can say, ‘I have made my heart pure; I am clean from my sin’?”

Proverbs 20:9

 

No one who falls into the mud thinks that they can clean themselves up without water and soap and a clean change of clothes. Yet, there is a brand of foolishness which toys with the idea that outside help is not needed to clean up the sin in a person’s heart. Even more foolish is the notion that the heart is basically good instead of basically evil for it denies the reality that sinful actions stem from what’s in a person’s heart.

Into this “enlightened” worldview the Bible speaks a word of truth. “None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.” (Romans 3:10-12) The wise understand that this is the reality of the human sinful nature. The wise know that there is nothing they can do to change the condition of their heart to make it pure. The wise know, however, that Jesus can.

It’s a matter of believing it in our heart, of being fully assured that Jesus can and will clean our hearts when we ask for him to forgive us. That’s when we can “draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.” (Hebrews 10:22) No one can say, ‘I have made my heart pure,’ but the one who places their full trust and relies on Christ Jesus to forgive them of their sins can say, ‘Jesus has made my heart pure.’

Lord Jesus, I know that I cannot clean up my heart and make it pure, but I believe that you can. I believe that by dying in my place you have earned the right to forgive my sins. Forgive me. Make my heart clean. Open up the way for me to draw near to you. Thank you for your indescribable gift! Amen!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Control

Train Up A Child

Strongholds